Public Services Worker
Town of Biltmore Forest
The Town of Biltmore Forest (pop. 1,400) is seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time position as a Public Services Worker within our Public Works Department. Our community is located adjacent to the City of Asheville, Biltmore Estate, and Blue Ridge Parkway. The Town of Biltmore Forest offers a high quality of life and high service level within its small town.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Public Works Supervisor and Public Works Director, this employee will participate in all public works functions, including but not limited to: garbage, recycling, and brush collection; mowing, weed eating, and other maintenance of public green spaces; water system, streets, and storm drain system repair and maintenance; seasonal snow removal from town streets; operation of a wide variety of town-owned vehicles, heavy equipment, power and hand tools; and any other general labor needed in support of public works operations.
This position generally works Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. - 5:30 p.m (40 hours). However, this position may also work Fridays, weekends, holidays, or during emergency situations or special events as needed. Staff rotate on-call duties.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions. Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, 50 pounds of force frequently; and 20 pounds constantly in moving objects.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee’s environment can range from vehicle operation to work intensive construction projects. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and/or heavy equipment, outside weather conditions, and vibration. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment ranges from moderate to very loud. The employee is required to do all of this in every type of weather condition, including extremely adverse weather conditions, extreme heat and severe cold weather.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- North Carolina Class C Driver’s license, and ability to obtain North Carolina Class B-CDL license within 6 months of date of hire.
- One or more years of work experience in fields of public works, maintenance, construction, trades, farming, or related.
- Knowledge of safety procedures and precautions involved in equipment operation and maintenance work.
- Basic knowledge of the tools, materials and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of streets, buildings, infrastructure, and grounds.
- Basic skill in the operation of assigned vehicles, equipment and power tools.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with other employees, the public, contractors, regulatory agencies, and Town officials.
- Ability to effectively communicate, understand instructions, and follow directions.
- Ability to work effectively under stress, changes in work priorities, and in emergencies.
Preferred Experience and Special Requirements
- North Carolina Class B-CDL license.
- Heavy equipment operations experience.
- North Carolina Grade B Water System Distribution License, Cross-Connection Control license, and/or ability to obtain such within 24 months of date of hire.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is dependent on the applicant’s qualifications, but the anticipated range is entry level - $16-$18 per hour
- Benefits include
- 11 paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave
- NC Local Government retirement pension
- NC 401(k) benefits
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
Applications may be obtained at the Town’s website at www.biltmoreforest.org. Position is open until filled. The Town of Biltmore Forest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Please return all completed applications via email to:
or regular mail to the following:
Town of Biltmore Forest
Public Works Department
355 Vanderbilt Road
Biltmore Forest, NC 28803
Questions regarding this position can be addressed to Harry Buckner, PE, Director of Public Works, at (828) 274-3919 or at the email address above.